Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bird on the Wire

wirebird I finally found the nest. The male Western Kingbird has been sitting on this wire directly over our driveway for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, en route to the mailbox, I paid a bit more attention, and discovered the female brooding in the crotch of the Russian-olive. Of course, she moved off before I could return with the camera.

watchful ‘Tis the season! We call it summer… and with all the rain we’ve had, everything is displaying glorious fecundity. We’ve already raised at least two broods of Magpies, so the Kingbirds have good reason to be watchful.

nestYesterday, about the time of my discovery, the Magpies took great interest in the driveway area. The male Kingbird was vigilant, but I (par for the course) was concerned. I filled the suet feeder in hopes of distracting them. The male, sometimes accompanied by his mate, was more direct, and never tired of chasing off the Magpie parents. Baby Magpies, almost indistinguishable now from their parents, hung out near the suet bar, but couldn’t quite figure out how to make it deliver the goods.

One sortie by the nest defender led to a substantial chase; another time both parents got involved in a close situation involving body contact inside their tree haven. All seems well, but it’s difficult to tell just yet. The nest seems empty much of the time, but I did see the female leave it once today. I think she’s sitting as low as possible to remain hidden. The male is finding new spots on different wires from which to observe.

We, meanwhile, are enjoying the Leonard Cohen Live in London DVD, having opted to purchase that rather than concert tickets for his appearance at Red Rocks June 4th (rained out June 2nd). Once I was past the shock of seeing him, so aged after more than 30 years (aren’t we all!), I found I loved his later music and adapted readily to its infectious quality. Like a bird on the wire.

1 comment:

Watcher said...

I have to confess- I never heard of Leonard Cohen till this post. So I read his Wikipedia bio. Folk singer, author, Yom Kippur War vet and Zen Buddhist monk- you cannot fault this guy for not trying new things! What a life!