Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Red Sky at Morning


This bodes well! A break in a long-drawn out drought today would be most welcome. The weather forecast supports this sky, which, as you'll recall, suggests:

Red sky at morning, sailor take warning.
Red sky at night, sailor's delight.


Unfortunately, I can't find this one in my lovely weather lore book, discussed earlier this month. I do see something similar:

Rainbow in the morning, shepherd take warning.
Rainbow toward night, shepherd's delight.



But we have neither rainbows nor shepherds. For that matter, no sailors handy either. Still, we are hoping for a nice pile of heavy, wet snow. It's just what the foothills need!

Eric Sloane does offer another reassuring thought from lore; this one, he assures us, is true:

Evening red and morning gray sets the traveler on his way.
Evening gray and morning red brings down rain upon his head.


Oh, yes, please!!

In other news, I pretty much failed to take my usual Solstice sunrise photo. Apparently I didn't last year either. I did bracket this one, so here's this morning's shot, a picture-perfect match for 2008's pre-solstice view!



It's been a long time since I did one of these, too. See how dry?



I'd best be off about my errands before the storm hits!


No comments: